2. You know, maybe referees aren’t so bad after all. Well, that is until the next call that doesn’t go FSU’s way. Then of course they are bums.
3. The obligatory Mrs. BFT observation while thinking the win was in hand: “Third and long followed by fourth and longer,” only to note moments later, “On second thought, maybe if it had been 4th and 20.”
4. Apparently part of Brian Kelly’s game plan for the first half was no punting allowed. I doubt however that the fumble on the first fourth down attempt was part of that plan. Juuuuust a guess.
5. On the bright side, at least the defense did not get fatigued on that two play, 31-yard Notre Dame touchdown drive.
6. Proof positive ESPN hates FSU, when upon checking the box score on ESPN.com in the third quarter and the score read 24-10. ????? Where’s our other seven dadgum points?!?!?!?!?! They just hate us. No question about it.
7. First ESPN reported it was 320 pieces of Jameis Winston autographed memorabilia. Then it became 900 only to see that grow to over 2,000 items as reported by that four letter network (and I am assuming there are a number of FSU fans that have a few four letters for that them). So can we assume the next report by said sports network will have that number up to something like 12,464?
8. Memo to Lou Holtz: #blamejameis
9. Sign seen at said ESPN’s Gameday show: “I’m a Ginger.” Yes, yes ... I know there is Google but I am not even sure I want to know.
10. Even better sign seen at said Gameday show: Jeff Driskell paid me for his autograph.”
Bonus Gleefully Random and Joyously Meaningless Thoughts
11. Stat of the weekend: Baylor and West Virginia combined for 72 penalties totaling 1,027 yards. I kid you not. Well, maybe I exaggerated a little. But it sure seemed like it was that many.
12. The Calculated Gamble That Really Paid Off Award goes to Virginia Tech who went for it on 4th down minutes into the fourth quarter on their own 38 yard line and trailing 14-9. Why not? Even if they didn’t make it (which they didn’t) the Hokie defense had been holding Pitt in check for most of the game. The gamble really paid off. Two plays later the Panthers were leading 21-9. Which brings up the question, how did VT ever beat Ohio State.
13. And speaking of Ohio State, Rutgers has supposedly played more football games than any other team in the country. After watching nearly three quarters of their game against the Buckeyes (a 56-7 deficit at the time), I’m thinking they sure don’t look like they played anywhere near that many.
14. The Raleigh media said there was a silver lining in NC State’s eleven game ACC losing streak (now at 12 games), but that it would get worse before it would get better. Personally, I’ve never known losing streaks to get better. Usually don’t they just end?
15. Memo to Jeremy Foley: Please, please, PLEASE do NOT fire Will Muschamp!!!! He is doing a HECK of a job. After all, it takes talent to field a team that gives up only 119 yards in offense to its opponent and still lose by the score of 42-13.
15a. Post seen at Gator Country made while the game was in progress: “FIRE MUSCHAMP NOW!!!!!” One response was “you are under-reacting.” Please don’t listen to him, Jeremy!!!!